Upside Therapy offers individual therapy for children, adolescents, and adults, psychological evaluation, autism evaluations, Asperger’s evaluation, autism testing, and consultation services. We provide therapy services from empathic, warm, and highly trained professionals committed to maximizing your or your family member’s functioning. What sets Upside Therapy apart from other Dallas therapy providers? Our approach includes a strengths based, positive, and truly connected therapy or evaluation service. We collaborate with other providers and institutions such as schools or workplace, and include family input to ensure the best therapy and evaluation experience that we can offer.
Conditions treated include anxiety, depression, autism, Asperger’s, ADHD, ADD, self-esteem, adjustment and transition difficulties, developmental disabilities, learning disorders, executive functioning differences, and more. We also offer gender identity, gender transition, and LGBT specific supports.
Psychological services are offered throughout the lifespan, including play therapy, child therapy, adolescent therapy, adult therapy, couples therapy and family therapy. Evaluations are offered for children as young as 18 months, all the way through adulthood.
Therapy and Counseling:
Our therapy services include, but are not limited to: anxiety disorders, depression, mood disorder, bipolar disorders, trauma, loss of a loved one, chronic illness, LGBT therapy, affirmative therapy, obsessive compulsive disorder, selective mutism, separation anxiety, school refusal, ADHD, ADD, attention disorder, autism, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Aspergers, anger, disruptive mood dysregulation disorder, opposition, and oppositional defiant disorder, attachment based therapy, mindfulness, play therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), psychodynamic, anxiety therapy, and integrated therapy.
Individual therapy services are offered for children, adolescents, and adults.
- Toddler to Elementary School Aged: We offer first time diagnosis, evaluation, and screening for possible developmental disorders, as well as emerging learning differences. We can assess for attention differences, autism spectrum disorders, anxiety, behavioral, social, and mood difficulties. Parenting support and consultation is offered for specific behaviors, adjustment to diagnosis, and life changes. Play therapy, talk therapy, and integrated treatment approach is appropriate for this life stage, and our therapists help parents and children with problem behaviors, anxiety, depression, social skills, anger, and more.
- Elementary and Middle School Ages: Individual and play therapy services for children and pre-teen or “tween” aged children are offered. Individual social skills support, behavior management, emotional identification, and coping skills are important for this age. Ongoing parent support, family therapy, and consultation, as well as evaluation services are also offered for this age. We offer individualized treatment plans to make sure that your child’s needs are met, and communication with parents and family members is a critical part of treatment at this stage as well.
- Teens and Young Adults: Identity development, mood, anxiety, and transitioning to independence are important skills to develop in the teenage stage of life. Our therapists help with socialization and relationship development in your teenager, self-advocacy and expression, and the implementation of life long coping strategies that can help pave the way for a healthy and well-developed adulthood. Parent support and adjustment to diagnosis, family therapy, and support through life changes are also offered for this age.
- Adulthood: Many life changes occur in this stage of life. Adjustment to relationship changes, mood, work changes, anxiety, and the evolution of family dynamics are critical topics to address in individual therapy. Our therapists also can help resolve prior trauma, grief, and continued growth in terms of coping and self-care. Diagnosis, evaluation, and job specific skills are also supports offered in this stage of life. Life and career transitions counseling, and relationship coaching is offered. Parent strategies and support, and caregiver support is also offered.
- Elderly: Adjustment to relationship or job status changes, consultation, and support for caregivers of elderly parents or relatives is also offered. Senior citizens are at risk for loneliness, isolation, depression, and daily living difficulties. We help to establish support and care to increase and sustain quality of life in this life stage as well.
Our therapists also collaborate with school, medical, and other therapeutic service providers. We can help to streamline and manage your treatment team, which helps decrease mixed messages and maximize treatment effectiveness.
Evaluation and Testing:
Our testing and evaluations include, but are not limited to:
- Comprehensive psychological evaluations identifying strengths and helping to develop detailed and individualized recommendations. Our evaluations include (as needed):
- Cognitive: Cognitive batteries help to determine ones’ intelligence quotient (IQ), including verbal and nonverbal test measures.
- Developmental: Developmental testing helps to determine your child’s cognitive, language, and motor development, and to determine if there are specific areas of need that can be helped with intervention
- Educational and Academic Testing: Including psychoeducational evaluations, a determination of current grade level, academic strengths and areas of need, and possible learning disabilities or learning differences.
- Adaptive: Adaptive testing includes ones’ daily living behaviors, and ability to function. Adaptive testing helps to determine if there is a gap between expected and observed behaviors. It also is helpful when determining disability, or what supports are necessary for maximally independent functioning.
- Social: Social evaluations include social skills and social behaviors, as well as personality factors that may impact close relationships
- Emotional: Emotional evaluations determine mood and mood stability, anxiety, mania, and other possible emotional disturbance or emotional disorders.
- Behavioral: Behavioral evaluations look at the frequency and occurrence of behaviors. Our evaluators have experience performing Functional Behavioral Analysis (FBA) to determine the function of the behavior, and what intervention would be most effective.
- We also assess autism spectrum disorder and other developmental disorders across the lifespan, including gold-standard autism evaluation measures.
- This office utilizes research reliable and empirically valid testing measures. We are proud to use the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, Second Edition (ADOS-2), considered to be the gold-standard in autism assessment.
- Our guardianship evaluations can help with transition and futures planning. We also offer first time diagnosis and re-evaluation to assess functioning at any point in the lifespan.
- Our evaluation services can be used for academic and post-secondary education needs and accommodations, workplace evaluations, transition support, and more.
In addition to therapy and evaluation services, we also offer consultation supports and services:
- We help parents understand, interpret, and navigate special education and section 504 law, including the Individuals with Disability Education Act (IDEA).
- Guiding parents as they prepare for and attend Admissions, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) and 504 Meetings.
- We offer review of school-developed accommodations and Individualized Education Plan (IEP) to help adequately address and advocate for your child’s needs and help collaborate and transfer school routine and behavior management to the home.
- We also provide ongoing collaboration with other providers and schools, to ensure consistency and communication across the entire team.
In order to preserve the integrity of the patient-client relationship and to ensure complete confidentiality, we do not accept insurance. This also allows us to focus 100% of our attention and efforts on client care versus managed care. We do offer information to assist you with contacting your insurance company to check your benefits
Location, Rates, Scheduling:
Our office is conveniently located in Plano, TX in order to best serve the greater Dallas, DFW Metroplex and surrounding areas. For a detailed map, directions, and our office address, view our contact information. To inquire about rates or to schedule an appointment either email or call our office at (469)708-9021.
Upside Therapy is hiring! Click here for the job posting